City of residence: California, US
School: UC Davis
Intended Major: Music Composition
Age: Undergraduate, 19 years old
Currently undertaking a BA in Music, she enjoys songwriting and singing. For the past six years, she has taken on roles as a band organizer, vocalist and songwriter. She was selected as the “Most accomplished and talented musician in the class of 2016” at St. Mary’s Shanghai.
What challenges did she face?
- She enjoys songwriting, however lacked new content material to write on.
- She aspires to be pursue a Ph.D. at Berklee and was looking to elevate her success in doing so.
★ NYU Steinhardt
★ Brooklyn College of Music
An assistant professor of composition at the Berklee College of Music. Prior to that she served on the piano faculty of the Settlement Music School. Her compositions have been performed across the U.S. in a variety of venues, including NYC’s Areté Venue and Gallery and the Boston Conservatory. Honors include the Northridge Composition Prize and the Brian M. Israel Prize.
How did the program help her?
- The program allowed her to fresher her mind for new ideas and focused on in-depth concepts on composition including counterpoint, melody, and harmony, listening and analysis assignments.
- She aspires to pursue a Ph.D. in Composition at Berklee and we set her up with a professor from Berklee who provided insights into Berklee’s application and strengthened her portfolio.
- On the last video session, the professor had agreed to write a Letter of Recommendation for Laura.