More and more Chinese students choose to study abroad to increase their professional knowledge, broaden their horizons, understand local culture, and get to know different people. Of course, all of this seems to be ideal until you encounter misfortune. The rule of thumb is to bear in mind the safety issues. There are many good universities in the United States and around the world. The United States itself is a very rich country in terms of culture and people, so choosing a US school is a top choice for many Chinese students. Choosing to study and live in the US is a good choice, however there are certain safety issues to watch out for.
- The main reasons to take precautions while in US
Three main reasons why Chinese students are likely to encounter incidents in the United States
1. Social security
2. Lack of awareness and common sense
3. International students are generally young and lack the knowledge and experience to properly handle safety issues.
- Objective reasons
1. Do a thorough study of the city where the school is located to understand the high-risk and disaster areas. Do not live in these areas, and try to avoid them as much as possible.
2. Do not go for a jog alone at night
3. Do fully understand the law for each district
4. Do not bring too much cash and pay attention to the food you take to ensure they are hygienic.
- Subjective reasons
The above are potential objective risk factors that can be actively avoided. In addition, below are some subjective risk factors which you may want to pay attention to.
1. Avoid conflicts when talking to the police. If you are stopped by the police while driving, put your hands on the steering wheel
2. Avoid making friends who may potentially have a negative impact and lead you astray
3. Avoid racist and discriminatory speech
4. Beware of the person you just met and don’t trust others too much
- Always be vigilant
Experiencing a new life abroad in a foreign country as an international student is a beautiful life experience. You get to meet new people who you could forge a lifetime friendship with. You may also decide to stay in the country after graduation because you fall in love with it! However, we must always learn to protect and safeguard ourselves.